University of Tennessee
Duke University Medical Center
1987 – 1990
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Cornea & External Disease
1990 – 1991
Education and Training
Dr. J. Franklin Murchison, M.D. went to Jackson Central Merry High School in Jackson, Tennessee where he graduated in June 1979 as second in a class of 399. He attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN, from 1979 to 1982 where he majored in Chemistry and graduated Summa Cum Laude. He received his M.D. at the University of Tennessee in Memphis (1982 – 1986). He completed his internship at the University of Tennessee Hospital in Knoxville, TN (1986 – 1987) and his residency at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina (1987 – 1990). He also completed a fellowship in Cornea/External Disease (1990 – 1991) at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, Florida.
Dr. Murchison is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology (1991). His special honors, activities, and certification are as follows:
Undergraduate School Awards:
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Dean’s List
- National Alumni Scholarship Recipient
- C.M. Gooch Memorial Scholarship Recipient Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Phi Chi Medical Fraternity
- Intramural tennis, football, basketball, and softball Triathlon and 10 K road competitions
- Top Graduate in the College of Liberal Arts
- Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society
- Gamma Beta Phi National Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Three-year recipient of the Alumni Scholarship for Academic Achievement
- Dean’s List
- Volunteer Leader in Young Life Ministry Intramural tennis, football, basketball, softball, and swimming
- Active member in weightlifting and waterski clubs
Secondary School Honors:
- National Honor Society
- Boys State Representative Varsity Football and Tennis
- Who’s Who among American High School Students
- National Spanish Exam Participant
- Active participant in Young Life, a nondenominational Christian youth group
- Combined Extracapsular Cataract Extraction and Glaucoma: Duke Eye Center Residents Day
- Data from above presented at the 93rd Annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology by. M. Bruce Shields, M.D.
- Limbus vs Fornix-based conjunctival Flaps in Combined Extracapsular Cataract Surgery and Guarded Sclerectomy: Duke Eye Center Residents Day
- Anterior Segment Toxicity with lmmunotoxins: Duke Eye Center Resident’s Day
- Monoclonal Antibody Recognition of Ocular Surface Langerhans Cells. Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology (ARVO), Sarasota, Florida
- Monoclonal Antibody Recognition of Ocular Surface Langerhans Cells. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Resident’s Day
- Interferon Alpha Therapy for Refractory Herpes Simplex Keratitis in Patients with AIDS. Poster: American Academy of Ophthalmology, Anaheim, California. J.F. Murchison, M.D., S.C Pflugfelder, M.D., D. Miller, M.A.
- Fungal Keratitis: Duke Eye Center
- Building a physician owned ambulatory surgery center. American Academy of Ophthalmology 2001, New Orleans, LA.
- J.F. Murchison M.D., M.B. Shields M.D.: An Evaluation of Three Surgical Approaches for Coexisting Cataract and Glaucoma. Ophthalmic Surgery. vol 20; June 1989: 393-398.
- J.F. Murchison M.D., M.B. Shields M.D. Limbus vs Fornix-based Conjunctival Flaps in Combined Extracapsular Cataract Surgery and Glaucoma Filtering Surgery. Am J. Ophthalmology. vol109; June 1990: 709-715.
- J.F. Murchison, M.D., S.C. Pflugfelder, M.D.: Corneal Toxicity with Antibiotic/Steroid soaked Collagen Shields. Letter to Editor. Archives of Ophthalmology. vol. 110, January 1992.
- M.W. Simon, M.D., D. Miller M.A., S.C. Pflugfelder, M.D., J.F. Murchison M.D., A.J. Huang M.D., 5.5. Atherton, PhD: Comparison of lmmunocytology to Tissue Culture for Diagnosis of Presumed Herpes Virus Dendritic Epithelial Keratitis. Ophthalmology. Vol. 99 #9; September 1992. 1408-1413.
- J.F. Murchison M.D., E Alfonso M.D.: Superficial Punctate Keratopathy, Diagnostic Problems in Clinical Ophthalmology, W. B. Saunders Co. 1994. Chapter 29: pp. 228-238.
Certifications & Professional Memberships
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Alpha Omega Alpha ·
Phi Beta Kappa
- Tennessee Academy of Ophthalmology American Eye Study Club
- PRK with VISX system January 1999
- Phototherapeutic Keratectomy January 1999 PRK with astigmatism & high myopia April 1999
- Star 53 ActiveTrak System CustomVue
- DSAEK course
- Iris registration
- DMEK course
Dr. Murchison currently specializes in Cataract Surgery (Premium Intraocular Lenses), Corneal Transplantation, Ocular Surface Reconstruction, Refractive Surgery including LASIK and PRK, DMEK, and Ocular Infections.
In his free time, Dr. Murchison likes skiing both on the water and through the snow, fishing, tennis, hiking, and medical missions.
Patient Reviews of Dr. Murchison
Request an Appointment with One of Our Specialists
The first step on the path to to clearer vision is only a click away. Request your appointment with Baptist Eye Surgeons today!