1990-1994 – M.D.
University of Texas Southwestern
Medical Center – Parkland Memorial Hospital
Education and Training
Dr. Darin S. Smith, M.D. attended Indiana University in Bloomington, IN, where he earned a B.A. double major in Biology and Chemistry(1986-1990) and ranked 7th out of 1538 graduates. Following his undergraduate degree, he moved to Durham, NC, to attend Duke University where he received his M.D. (1990-1994). He completed his internship at Roanoke Memorial Hospital in Roanoke VA (1994-1995) and his residency in Dallas, TX at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center – Parkland Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Smith received his board certification and licensure from the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Additional Certifications and Advanced Training:
- Excimer (VISX, 1997)
- CustomVue Certification(VISX, 2003)
- Fourier Wavefront (VISX, 2004)
- Hyperopia and Hyperopic Astigmatism(VISX, 2004)
- CustomVue Mixed Astigmatism (VISX, 2005)
- CustomVue Iris Registration (VISX, 2006)
- lntralase (lntralase, 2007)
- Visian ICL/Staar Surgical Certification (2007)
- Smith DS; Saloupis P; Davis J; Hatchell D; “The effect of lntravitreal Platelet Activating Factor (PAF) on Retinal Microvasculature.” Experimental Eye Research 59: 425-432, 1994.
- “Foldable Acrylic (Acrysof) Intraocular Lenses in the Treatment of Pediatric Aphakia” ARVO poster presentation May 1997, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Ophthalmology Alumni Day , June 1997.
- “Breakdown of the Blood-Retina Barrier by Platelet Activating Factor” Association for in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO}, 1994(poster).
- Duke University AOA Research Forum, April 1994:”Does lntravitreal Platelet Activating Factor (PAV) Cause as Increase in Retinal Microvasculature Permeability?” Duke University Eye Center Research Forum, 1993.
Dr. Smith currently specializes in Cataract Surgery, Laser Vision Correction, Advanced Technology Lens Implants, Diabetic Eye Exams, and Dry Eye Treatments.
In his free time, Dr. Smith’s interests are physical fitness, Christian-related activities, Cataract Surgery mission trips, and family activities.
Patient Reviews of Dr. Smith
Request an Appointment with One of Our Specialists
The first step on the path to to clearer vision is only a click away. Request your appointment with Baptist Eye Surgeons today!